Wednesday, August 28, 2013

#BlogElul 22 Dare to see the World Through Jewish Eyes

What's the biggest dare you have ever taken?  I am not much of dare devil.  In fact I am sure my family would tell you that I should be described as the opposite of Dare devil.  I do like taking  a chance in my work and in the educational lessons, curriculum and projects that I plan. I love to try new curriculum, find out the latest speakers in the area or just plan a new program.


When I taught Religious School, many moons ago I used to change grades every year.  I got bored teaching the same grade and dared to take on a new set of program, students and text books.  Taking a dare with a new idea coming to a new service or trying a new Jewish experience is something I dare you to do.  

I have stayed with the Chai Curriculum from the URJ for many years.  I like it.  I have tweaked it, added to it and made sure we cover new ideas.  I dare myself to make it new and current every year and throughout the year.  

20 years ago the Union of American Hebrew Congregations published a new curriculum, "To See the World through Jewish Eyes" I was trained to use it over a long period of time and believe me it was not user friendly. As soon as teachers were trained on this curriculum it was gone.  In fact I could not for the life of me find any graphics from this curriculum to show here.  It was over and one with before you could typeset the title in your school handbook.

 I did use the title countless times over the years as I have always loved it.  It dares you to see the world through Jewish colored glasses and I do.




This post is part of #BlogElul, a series of social media posts created during Elul, the month preceding the High Holidays. During Elul, it is customary for Jews to prepare spiritually for the upcoming new year. An annual project, #Blog Elul is the brainchild of Rabbi Phyllis Sommer.

No comments:

Post a Comment