Thursday, August 22, 2013

#BlogElul 16 Change: No One likes it, Change that is


I have two great stories about change which I tell all the time and in Jewish tradition you should always credit who told you a story when you pass it on.  Here are my stories with pictures of the person who taught me.


Prof. Sara Lee
The first lesson I have on change I learned at CAJE 12 in Georgia in 1987 (yes and I looked that up). I had a class with Prof. Sara Lee, Director of the Rhea Hirsch School of Education for Hebrew Union College.  She offered a class for new Religious School Principals and I was pretty new Educational Director.  She told us if we didn't remember anything about her session we should remember 2 things, 1)  get to know the Rabbi's secretary (which if the Rabbi has a secretary still holds today and 2) Only change one form per year.  Now we don't really have  so many hard copy forms but we certainly have on line forms and procedures and not changing things up drastically every year also still holds.   Now I want you to know that I studied with Prof Lee many times after that class and she teaches on many wonderful topics and you can click on her name to get an idea; but this blog deals with change.  

My second story is one my Cantor, Michael Davis tell us when we contemplate changing
Cantor Michael Davis
music in our t'filot at Lakeside.  One service Cantor Davis began with a tune which was new to the congregation.  At the end of the service he repeated this same song.  An older man came up to Cantor Davis at the end of the service to comment on the service.  He had liked Cantor's voice but made the following comment, "I didn't like the song you sang at the beginning of the service but I loved the one you ended with."  Yes, it was the same song and first time we hear something we may not like it but hearing it a few times it can grow on you.  Just something to think about when you think about change.  








This post is part of #BlogElul, a series of social media posts created during Elul, the month preceding the High Holidays. During Elul, it is customary for Jews to prepare spiritually for the upcoming new year. An annual project, #Blog Elul is the brainchild of Rabbi Phyllis Sommer.



No comments:

Post a Comment