Thursday, August 15, 2013

#Blog Elul 9 Hear, O Israel

Shema Yisrael Adonai Eloheinu Adonai Echad.
Hear, O Israel, Adonai is our God, Adonai is One!

The notes our Kallah Gimmel campers write when they lead t'filot
We say Shema every time we pray.  Our campers over the summer pray/sing/ Shema not just during t'filot but many times with their bunk mates at night before bed.  Saying Shema before you go to sleep is very peaceful and hearing a whole cabin of girls or boys doing this for me pulls at my heart strings.  This is a prayer we rarely hear our students say they don't know or every question why we say it.  A favorite task of mine at OSRUI is helping our chanichim, campers, lead t'filot.  They usually write a short introduction to the prayer of their choice.  I know they feel confident and comfortable at camp and share their feelings willingly.  I have always wished their parents could Hear and See them as they lead t'filot.  They would be so proud of their children and grandchildren.  I know occasionally I get teary, and yes I cry at the drop of a hat but I love this part of the day at camp and with my chanichim.  They are also proud of themselves for standing up in front of their peers and madrichim and it is their first introduction to well, Making Israel listen. 

I look forward to this year as I start the school year to praying Shema with a new set of voices.  I close my eyes when I sing Shema and I always try to "hear" the voices of the people who are surrounding me.  
When I am at camp I can hear the sounds of nature and the our chanichim.  Listen or Hear next time you pray Shema.
Our beautiful Beit T'filah at OSRUI for Kallah and Gesher


No comments:

Post a Comment