Thursday, September 4, 2014

#BlogElul 9 Hear where were you when you heard...

Joan Rivers Z"L
Joan Rivers Z"L died today. Baruch Dayen Emet (words you traditionally say when you hear someone has died meaning: Blessed is the Judge of truth) I heard the news when I was in the car, by myself.  I wanted to call someone and talk about it.  I think you remember very vividly where you were and what you were doing when you hear good news, bad news or a world event happens.  

I am too young to remember hearing about JFK being assassinated, I was only 4.  I remember that when Yitzhak Rabin Z"L was assassinated I was at OSRUI on a 5th-6th grade retreat and I had to decide what to do at my Sunday morning T'filah back at Lakeside.  On 9/11 I was first at home with my kids before school and then  at Lakeside congregation working with a professional fundraiser (who knew that was the beginning of a recession) and watched the rest of the day on unfold on television.


I remember hearing good news as well although I think with good news be it a birth, a wedding announcement or a graduation you are expecting the news and it is just not as shocking as unexpected bad news.  


To really hear what is going on you have to be present in the moment for good news of bad news.  Hearing bad news or good news is not always easy.  You must be in the present and listen.  This is not something easy and certainly not always easy for me.  I try to work on hearing what people say to me every day.  

There are many things to read about Joan Rivers today and I think she would be surprised by the  outpouring of love and support from all corners of the world.  She had tragedy in her life and never gave up.  I admire her chutzpah and her unabashed take on the world including her unapologetic take on life from her support of Israel this summer to her lifestyle.  May God comfort her family among the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem

No comments:

Post a Comment