Friday, April 4, 2014

#BlogExodus Day 4: Free: Kitniyot Rebellion who is with me?

I know that Pesach is the holiday of Freedom; however the week of Pesach in particular does not on the surface seem freeing to me.  As the main cook and bootle washer at my house the week of Pesach highlights to me how dependent my family (read ME) is on restaurants, pre-prepared and packaged food. We usually eat out as a family a few meals a week.  Then there are the stops at our favorite kosher restaurants, which for us is like going into the Cheers Bar...everyone knows our names at these establishments.

I suppose you could say that Pesach frees me of this food dependence and I am forced to cook and create new dishes not just for Seder but the whole week.  I do think about each meal, who will eat it, how will we transport the food if we are at work/school?  We are fortunate enough to live in an area where my local grocery stores sell ready made Charoset, which I would never buy because the way I make it is the best!

Last year I was in Israel for Pesach and most of our meals served Kitniyot and it was a change for me.
(Kitniyot, (Hebrewקִטְנִיּוֹת ,קיטניות‎, qit'niyyot) (legumes) is a category of foods that may not be eaten during Passover by Jews following traditional Ashkenazi laws and customs. Long-standing tradition in other communities and recent rulings have given support in certain cases for variation from this practice.    Kitniyot are grains and legumes such as rice, corn, soy beans, string beans, peas, lentils, mustard, sesame seeds and poppy seeds)
There is already a Kitniyot Liberation Front
The week of not eating Chamatz but eating kitniyot seemed to go by much faster.  Granted I did not have to cook ANY meals last year so perhaps this is why the week went faster but just the options of food seemed tastier to me.  I think I might start a family revolt for Kitniyot.  I know I will be happier and I think my family will be too. It is healthier for vegetarians as soy and other proteins are allowed. Last year in Israel it also meant we could eat falafel and hummus.  So I am seriously thinning about adding Kitniyot because that would be freedom.  

No comments:

Post a Comment