Thursday, September 12, 2013

#BlogElul 29 Return WAIT, it's Tishri? Now What?

Well I didn't make Quite make it until the end of BlogElul.  It got too hectic, I attended a great wedding and didn't have my computer, I had to get ready to open school, coordinate High Holiday T'filot and OK, Name your excuse.  I hate when people give the excuse they are too busy.  In fact I have been known to tell more than one person, "Don't try to Out Busy ME!"  Whatever my excuse once I stopped blogging I felt that I couldn't even blog some other ideas but I was determined to finish BlogElul in some way.  
Nathan and Shula get married







I am looking forward to next year when not only will the High Holy Days be later but, of course Blog Elul will be later as well.  There will be other obstacles to face next year, school starting, Ethan Ron going to college, (yes you read that right) but I look forward to blogging all of Elul 5774.  If I don't succeed there is always the next year.  I am in this for the long haul.

As we look to return and begin again as the year 5774 comes in there is a comfort in the familiar rituals of the High Holy Days followed by Sukkot and this year the beginning of Religious School.  Returning means to start from where you once were.  
Congregation Knesseth Israel, Elgin

I have very strong memories of hearing Kol Nidre at my home congregation, Knesseth Israel in Elgin as I was growing up.  We went every year and sat in the sanctuary as a dedicated lay person from the choir, Milt Pearlman, would sing Kol Nidre so beautifully.  The entire congregation would be spell bound throughout his renditions.  I tell all my students that their first adult service should be Kol Nidre because of my strong feelings of rembrance.

I am looking forward to hearing Kol Nidre at Lakeside Congregation tomorrow night with Cantor Davis, our beautiful choir and one rendition on the cello; I return to Elgin, I return to sitting in the pews with my sister, parents and Grandmother.  I love the beautiful peace that descends on the service as we usher in Yom Kippur.  I will be thinking about blogging Elul and how good it felt this year and wondering what Rabbi Phyllis Sommer has in store for us next year.

If I have offended anyone, whether intentionally or accidentally I hope you accept my apologies and grant me forgiveness as we enter the new year.  G'mar Chatimah Tovah.


This post is part of #BlogElul, a series of social media posts created during Elul, the month preceding the High Holidays. During Elul, it is customary for Jews to prepare spiritually for the upcoming new year. An annual project, #Blog Elul is the brainchild of Rabbi Phyllis Sommer.

No comments:

Post a Comment