Friday, December 14, 2018

There are many types of medicine!



The doctors have prescribed me various medications to help with the side effects usually associated with chemotherapy. Despite the miracles of modern medicine, I have found over the last few weeks that sometimes it’s the things OTHER than what is prescribed by the doctor which have helped ease my symptoms. These types of medicine for me include teaching 9th grade students Hebrew for the summer, participating in our weekly Adult Enrichment Sunday sessions at Lakeside and going to professional learning sessions with my local colleague 
At our CFJE-JUF Professional Learning Session

Two weeks out from my first chemo session, it feels like Hanukkah has been extra long this year. I cannot thank everyone enough for their caring, generous, and thoughtful gifts.  I enjoy reading all of the mitzvot my  communities are doing: from delivering food to the hungry; to volunteering in the community; to donating money to  OSRUI, and other tzedakah organizations. These small acts feel much larger for me when they take my mind off of what is happening inside my body. Even something as simple as teaching a Hebrew preparation class for my campers attending OSRUI’s 7 week Hebrew immersion program, Chalutzim, has been a boost that reminds me of the way being with students has always energized me.


My colleagues have been able to provide yet a different medicine. By saying Hineni, I am here and I am here for you, they have fed my soul.  When my colleagues asked what they can do to support me, my first, very quick response, was help with teaching my Chalutzim Prep course. Beyond simply lending a hand, my colleagues, Rabbi Simcha Bob who will teach the Chalutzim class and Rabbi Lisa Bellows wrote me a beautiful prayer that I will use next week when I am in my second round of chemo. It’s more than a small gesture, this prayer was the kind of giving that cannot be assigned value.I knew last week when I posted
Shehecheyanu that it was not exactly the right prayer for that time.  Now I have something that fits the situation and again provides me with a different type of medicine.
Me, Cantor Arik Luck and Rabbi Lisa Bellows
Author of the Prayer below


So many of my communities have come together to provide support and comfort, not only for me, but for my whole family as well. Some days this type of medicine works even better than what the doctors prescribe.

Please feel free to share the beautiful prayer below! I know that I have found solace in reading these words.

The graduate from a few years ago









This weekend we are so happy to celebrate Ethan as he graduates from the University of Wisconsin.  
So far I still have my hair, eyebrows and eyelashes.  Can’t wait to post some pictures of the weekend.
Enjoy your week and Shabbat Shalom!





A prayer said during chemo and other lousy times

God of my Mothers and Fathers,

As I take this course of treatment, please stay close to me when I want to escape:
Escape from the pain
the side effects
the weakness of body and of spirit.

Escape from the fear that grips me tightly sometimes.
I give my desire to escape to You.

God, there are things I think I can’t handle. But there is nothing that You can’t handle.

O Merciful One, to You I give the (expected and the unexpected) effects from medication designed to save my life.

When I want to give in to despair, I turn that over to You, too.

Bless me with calm during the storm of treatment and its aftershock.
Send me Your warm embrace when the coldness of fear strikes.
Give me courage to tolerate what I think I can’t.
And when I think I can’t take it for one more minute, send me a smile and the ability to laugh at life’s absurdities
and all.

God, they say you are as far as the most distant star, but please, stay as close to me as my breath.

B'yado afkid ruchi
b'et ishan v'a'irah.
V'im ruchi g'viyati,
Adonai li v'lo ira.
בְּיָדוֹ אַפְקִיד רוּחִי, בְּעֵת אִישַׁן וְאָעִֽירָה.
וְעִם רוּחִי גְּוִיָּתִי, יְיָ לִי וְלֹא אִירָא.
In Your hand, I place my spirit,
When I sleep and when I wake
With my spirit, my body too.
You are mine. You are near; I need not fear.

A Challah bake done in my honor:  Thank you Patti Nisenholz!



No comments:

Post a Comment