Wednesday, November 1, 2017

What do YOUR books tell you about Yourself?

Jewish Book Month is in NOVEMBER!
I love books and if you look at my shelves you can immediately tell that:  I love Israel, Jewish education,  historical fiction, young adult books and of course Tanakh, (Bible).  If I looked at your shelf what would I find?  I have spoken about visiting friends homes growing up and seeing the stalwarts of a Jewish home on the book shelves:  The Source by James Michener (or anything by him), Exodus by Leon Uris, Goodby Columbus by Philip Roth or Night by Eli Weisel.  Holocaust literature was not as popular 50 years ago as it is today.

November is Jewish Book Month and at Lakeside we will have on November 12th and 19th tables in the lobby with our "extra" books for you to take home.  Be sure to stop by and pick up a book for your family.  We have some great books and I hope you add to your libraries!

There were very few young adult books never mind authors when I was a tween many moon ago.  I read almost all the books at the local library in Crystal Lake that were for my age group and began reading the books at my house.   I read a few books that I was probably too young to appreciate and now I love reading young adults books and love even more discussing the most popular ones with my students.  Sharing the fondness for a good book is like having a friend in common and gives you something to discuss.  

With the onset of e-readers it is harder to see what people are reading at their homes, on a plane or at the beach.  That saddens me as I am always ready to start a conversation about book that I have read or plan on reading.  Occasionally when asked what am I reading right now I have plenty to say in that conversation.  I do love my e-reader as it is easy to take with me and I can load on as many books as I want and I don't have to worry about how much space it will take up in my luggage.  My nightmare is running out of something to read.

I have had a book group at Lakeside for the past 6 years and I am proud to say that we have read 70 books.  We meet about once a month at members homes and read all types of books with Jewish themes.  Sometimes the books are great and the discussion is great and occasionally the books are mediocre and the discussion is surprisingly great.  I always enjoy talking about books and getting insights from our group.  (If you are interested in joining our book group let me know) We are also very proud to have a librarian at Lakeside for over 30 years, Margaret Burka.  She keeps our library up to date with all the latest books, come and take a look.

My Goodreads page:  feel free to join me!
Since I have been organizing our book group I have also been on Goodreads.  This is a site that helps you not just keep track of the books that you are reading, have read and plan to read it it also lets you group your books into different shelves.  I started using this app when I realized that I had assigned a book for book group which I had read many years ago but had  totally forgotten I had read before.  Now I know if I read it and when I read it.



No comments:

Post a Comment