Wednesday, September 27, 2017

What does our new Machzor tell us and how many of the Rabbis, Cantors and Educators do I know who contributed?

This year at Lakeside Congregation we used Mishkan Hanefesh from CCAR Press for all of our t'filot. One of the first things that I did with this Machzor was to look up all the Rabbis, Educators and Cantors that I know.  I can say I know my fair share as well as some of the editors. As we gather every year at Rosh Hashanah with most of my family we talk about services, sermons and this year abut the new Machzor. 
Mishkan HaNefesh

 My father was excited to see passages from Langston Hughes and Immanuel Kant.  I loved to see Rabbi's I knew quoted as well as Debbie Friedman Z"L. It was apparent to me then that this prayer book spoke to different people in a myriad of ways.  

I have always loved the High Holy day liturgy and this year my experience was enhanced with this Machzor.  It is set up just like Mishkan T'filot with traditional prayers on the even numbered pages and the more interpretive resources on the odd numbered pages.  You can read the forward in Mishkan HaNefesh to get the whole picture of what each type of page means and represents.

I love the drop down bar on each page which tells us WHERE in the service we are and I love the addition of transliteration for all of the prayers in Hebrew.  When transliteration first came out I didn't think I would be a fan but as a  frequent service attender I appreciate how much more participation we have in all of our t'filot with the transliteration on each page.
Art for Mishkan HaNefesh

There is also fascinating art in the Machzor and it made me think of many different visions and I found an article on the artist Joel Shapiro which informs us the art was made entirely from wood prints.  I encourage you to read more about the art and artist.  

I was fascinated that one group had thought to put in the notes for their poem, or perhaps the editors did this their website.  Water Women's Alliance.  According to their website
    

"WATER is a global network, an educational and spiritual space, a center for dialogue on feminism, faith, and justice. We connect activists, religious leaders, students, scholars, and allies who are using feminist religious values to create social change."




             

I was wondering why they put their website in the notes, what will happen in 100 years if we still are using this prayer book and there is not website.  My Rabbi reminded me that there will probably will another edition by then and I can't help thinking that more organizations will want their website in the notes.  I can't be the only one who is looking at the notes in Mishkan HaNefesh.  Right?  


Enjoy your High Holy days and I hope you have a minute to look at Mishkan HaNefesh even if your community does not use it.  It is a beautiful and peaceful resource which I look forward to using over the years.  

I wish one and all an easy fast and I am quite excited to see the new Mishkan for Yom Kippur.  G'mar Chatimah Tovah, may you be inscribed in the book of life!









No comments:

Post a Comment