Thursday, June 4, 2015

First Year: Home for the Summer: For College,High School or any age


Before Ethan came home from his first year at University of Wisconsin, Madison we received this letter:  

First Year: Home for the Summer (according to the U of W)


Before you know it, your student may be packing up and coming home for the summer. We have a few tips for conversations you may want to have with your student to ensure a smooth transition for everyone.
  • Schedule time with your student to make sure activities that are important to you aren’t lost in the shuffle.
  • Have a conversation with your student about expectations for schedules, housework, and behavior during the summer. Decide whether the original rules of the house still apply, and also consider some extra flexibility to take into account your student’s new-found independence and autonomy.
Ethan and his roommate Aman
I love having my kids home for the summer and then they go off to camp.  We didn't have much time with Ethan as he is off to OSRUI this week. Jonathan will be home and enjoys Friday night T'filot at Lakeside.  We tried to hit all the high points with Ethan before he left: favorite meals and visits to see his grandparents. I tried my best to keep some of these points from the letter in mind. My main advice with any age child is to keep the conversation going.

 I acknowledge that summer is different. and more relaxed.  Your children may not have any scheduled classes so looking over Hebrew or B'nai Mitzvah assignments may not be at the top of the to do list.  I always tell all my Hebrew students that they need to do some Hebrew review over the summer or they will backslide from where they were in May when they left Hebrew school.
Convocation, Kitah Gimmel

Kitah Aleph

A great way to practice is to come to Summer T'filot which are always at 6:00pm and we try to have them outside, weather depending.  If you want to participate in t'filot just let me know.  Find a fun Hebrew game on line and check out Behrman House's games. 

Enjoy your summer and remember Shabbat still happens every Friday and Saturday.  Friday Night T'iflot are at 6:00pm and Torah Study is at 9:30 am on Shabbat with a short t'filah at 10:30am.  I hope to see you at our Summer T'filot or just stop by for a visit.  I will be at OSRUI for a few weeks in the middle of July.  I will be available by email even when I am at camp.

Enjoy your summer.  Read some Hebrew, do some Mitzvot and have some fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment