Monday, August 26, 2013

#BlogElul 20 Judge or maybe not.


At this time of year, before the High Holy Days when you see the word judge I think about God, Book of Life, judging your actions for the past year.  It is an awesome time for Jews as they sit in synagogue.  I like to see the world through Jewish eyes and now is also the time for You to be the Judge, just like the book from Torah Aura.  

Here is the description of the book from the website:
You Be the Judge books pose real-life situations and their Jewish answers. These legal cases are perfect as part of family or Shabbat programs, as the trigger to fun class discussions, equally usable at the dinner table and in the classroom. Here are three chances to share values, discuss ethics, and take a first look into the Talmud, the codes, and the wisdom of the Jewish legal process. 
There is also You be the Judge 2 and 3.  These are great books and are wonderful triggers for Religious School class.  I wonder if they would be interested in a new book line called:  Don't be the Judge.  I think too often we tend to judge other people, colleagues, students, teachers, fill in the blank.  I sometimes jump to conclusions and then I stop myself and say wait a minute.  Who am I to say what is right or wrong or who is right and wrong.  It is not easy to sit tight and not make a snap judgement. Over the next few weeks I will be thinking about God as Judge and trying not to Be The Judge. 




This post is part of #BlogElul, a series of social media posts created during Elul, the month preceding the High Holidays. During Elul, it is customary for Jews to prepare spiritually for the upcoming new year. An annual project, #Blog Elul is the brainchild of Rabbi Phyllis Sommer.

No comments:

Post a Comment